Skip Navigation Website Accessibility
       Come visit us! 1630 Midland Beaver Road Suite A Industry, PA 15052

What is Quilt Batting?
Quilt batting is used in various sewing and quilting projects, is also known as wadding. It is used as a layer of insulation between fabrics used in quilt making. Batting is the filling of quilts and makes them warm and heavy. It's usually manufactured from cotton, polyester or wool, and recently manufacturers started to use bamboo fibers. Loft - The weight and thickness of batting is measured by its loft. Low loft means thin, high loft means thick. Choose low loft if you want your finished project to have a flatter appearance, like for wall hangings and place mats. For a fluffier quilt or comforter, choose a high loft batting. Wool batting is usually the thickest batting. Bamboo is the lightest loft of batting. Batting typically comes in white and off-white colors. Polyester and bamboo batting drape batter than cotton and wool batting.

What is Interfacing?

This neutral colored material is meant to be permanently added to fabric. Interfacing is either fused in place using an iron or sewn in place.


Different Types of Interfacing

There are several types of interfacing available, each with a specific use. Here are the main types:
    • Woven Interfacing: This type comes in various weights and is meant to be used with woven fabric such as cotton.
    • Knit Interfacing: The noted difference of this type of interfacing is that it is actually a knit, therefore it will stretch slightly. Use this type of interfacing when sewing knits.
    • Fusible Fleece: Soft and lofty, this type of interfacing fuses to the fabric. It adds a thick layer to the fabric making it easier to hold a specific shape. Consider using multiple layers of fusible fleece to create an especially rigid shape.
    • Fusible Web: Adhesive on both sides, this type of interfacing is used mostly for appliqué. It is also known as Stitch-Witchery or Heat ’n Bond.

What is Stabilizer?

Unlike interfacing, stabilizer is created to be removed after stitching. Stabilizer helps reinforce fabric when stitching may damage it.

Different Types of Stabilizer

There are three main types of stabilizer to consider:
    • Tear-Away: Very paper-like, this stabilizer works well with lightweight fabric and light stitch work.
    • Wash-Away: This form of stabilizer dissolves in water after stitching. Best used when stitching appliqués or when a bit of stabilizer is needed on the fabric’s right side.
    • Cut-Away: Usually used when working with heavy stitch work, cut-away adds firm support to fabric.

Showing 61 - 68 of results
Page   1    2    3  


Peltex Sew-In Stabilizer Pellon



Decor Bond Heavy Fusible Pellon 44in



Shape Flex Woven Cotton Pellon 20in



Shape Flex Woven Cotton Black Pellon 20in x 1 yds



Pellon Fusible Interfacing 911FF 20 inches



Fusible Fleece 44 Interfacing



quilters dream



Soft and Stable Black 100% Polyester Foam Stabilizer 36in x 58in


< Previous Page        1    2    3        Next Page >
Contact Info
  • Sewing Original Stitches
  • (724) 508-0040
  • 1630 Midland Beaver Rd. Suite A
    Industry, Pennsylvania 15052
  • Hours:  Wed - Thurs 1pm - 9pm
  • Friday - Sat 10am - 5pm
  • Sun 12pm - 5pm or by appointment
Get Directions